What is AI?
I would predict everyone knows what AI but for those unaware, Artificial intelligence (AI) is the simulation of human intelligence processes by computer systems. It involves the development of algorithms and software that can perform tasks that would typically require human intelligence, such as recognizing speech, making decisions, and learning.
Earliest history of AI used in education:
Artificial intelligence (AI) has been used in education for several decades, although its use has been limited by the availability of technology and the cost of development. In the 1970s, researchers developed computer-based tutoring systems that used AI algorithms to provide personalized feedback to students.
One of the earliest examples of an AI-based tutoring system was the Intelligent Computer-Assisted Instruction (ICAI) system developed by Gordon Pask and his colleagues in the UK. The system used AI algorithms to diagnose students’ learning difficulties and adapt the instruction to their needs. Another example was the cognitive tutor developed by John Anderson and his colleagues at Carnegie Mellon University. The cognitive tutor used AI algorithms to model students’ problem-solving processes and provide personalized feedback.
In the 1990s, the development of the internet and the growth of online learning platforms led to new opportunities for the use of AI in education. One of the earliest online learning platforms was Carnegie Mellon’s Open Learning Initiative (OLI), which used AI algorithms to provide personalized instruction to students.
What is possible now?
Recent innovations in LLMs and AI tech present a great opportunity to upend the space of education. We could use AI through the whole stack, from explanation to assessment to even building a syllabus tailored to one student.
- Intelligent tutoring systems: These systems can adapt the instruction to the individual needs and abilities of each student, providing them with the support they need to master the material. ITS can also provide immediate feedback to students, allowing them to correct their mistakes and learn from them. One of the key benefits of ITS is that they can provide personalized instruction at scale, allowing educators to provide high-quality instruction to a large number of students. Additionally, ITS can track students’ progress over time, allowing educators to identify areas where students may need additional support and adjust their instruction accordingly.
- Chatbots in education: These are computer programs that are designed to simulate conversation with human users. In education, chatbots can be used to provide personalized support to students, answering their questions, providing feedback, and helping them to navigate the learning environment. One of the key benefits of using chatbots in education is that they can provide 24/7 support to students, allowing them to get help when they need it, even outside of regular classroom hours.
- Adaptive learning: How AI can be used to create adaptive learning environments that adjust to each student’s progress and level of understanding. for more about adaptive learning, you can read it here
- Natural language processing: How AI-powered natural language processing can be used to provide more sophisticated and interactive learning experiences. Grading subjective answer has many pitfalls regarding the personal aptitude of the examiner. AI will make the process much more consistent and effective.
- Virtual assistants: AI-powered virtual assistants can help students manage their time, assignments, and study habits. They can be programmed to provide customized learning plans for students, based on their individual needs and learning styles. Creating a schedule and the process by including all information of a student’s life will be huge and can unlock the hidden potential of a well-intention populace.
- Learning analytics: AI algorithms can analyze student data, such as test scores and engagement metrics, to identify patterns and trends, such as students who are at risk of falling behind or those who may need additional support. Additionally, AI analytics can be used to personalize learning experiences, by providing students with recommendations on learning resources and activities that are best suited to their individual needs and learning styles. They can identify areas of strength and weakness and provide targeted support.
Role of Abekus:
We have developed a platform using the most recent innovations in the space to provide a platform for adaptive learning to each individual for FREE (for more about this, read it here), democratizing access to personal tutor for all. This has huge implications, that people have not yet grasped. And we are just getting started!!
Check out for yourself at abekus.com.